Oatmeal Flax Mixed Berry Muffins
Well, since my muscles seem to finally have recovered from soccer on Thursday, I went for a nice 6 mile run this afternoon! It was a great kickstart to the rest of a very productive Sunday.
Said Sunday included baking some mmm mmm tasty mixed berry muffins, meal planning for the week, doing laundry, cleaning, cooking dinner, and preparing lunches for the week.
Now…would you like a recipe for some amazing, healthy, and oh-so-nutritious muffins?
- ¾ cup quick cooking oats
- ½ cup ground flax seed
- 1½ cups whole-wheat flour
- ½ cup chia seeds
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon of nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¾ cup almond milk (or milk of choice)
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon of Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup mixed frozen thawed (or fresh) berries
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease muffin tin
- In a large bowl, mix the oats, ground flax, flour, sugars, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl, lightly mix together the milk, oil, eggs, and vanilla extract.
- Combine with dry ingredients until evenly moist.
- Fold in the thawed berries and its juices.
- Scoop batter into the prepared muffin cups.
- Mix ⅓ cup oats, brown sugar, and cinnamon in a small bowl, and sprinkle over the batter. (Optional)
- Bake 20 to 23 minutes in the preheated oven, let cool and enjoy
The way I filled the muffin tins, this recipe yielded a nice, even 20 for me. After we each snacked on a couple…the rest of them fit perfectly into a Tupperware container! Gotta love that.